correct code for pointer subtraction

Bob Larson blarson at skat.usc.edu
Wed Jan 4 17:30:07 AEST 1989

In article <2254 at iscuva.ISCS.COM> carlp at iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) writes:

[discusssion of intel brain damage mostly omitted]

>At least Microsoft provides a
>way to get the correct result, albeit with some "unusual" coding - what
>does it take to get the right result in another 16-bit-int environment?

Pointer subtraction result is a long if int might not be big enough to
hold it.  A couple of bugs in beta-test Mg were related to this.  This
seems to be strictly an intel bug.  (I've also used C compilers where
pointer subtraction resulted in a 16 bit int -- but only 64k bytes of
memory were addressable.)
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson at Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson at skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson
Prime mailing list:	info-prime-request%ais1 at ecla.usc.edu
			oberon!ais1!info-prime-request