passing variable numbers of arguments

Sean Fagan seanf at sco.COM
Wed Jan 11 17:27:18 AEST 1989

>>                                        Wouldn't it have been reasonable for
>> the standard to specify that the compiler should enable the called function
>> to determine the number of parameters that were passed, by automatically
>> passing this information as a first implicit parameter, for example?
>For one thing, that would slow down every call a little.

Some machines (VAXen and WE32100's) already do this.

It doesn't slow the call down, since it's always there.  However, it could
be argued that the call could have been made faster by not wasting microcode
space...

--
Sean Eric Fagan | "Joy is in the ears that hear, not in the mouth that speaks."
seanf at sco.UUCP  |      -- Saltheart Foamfollower (Stephen R. Donaldson)