printf, data presentation

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Jan 6 14:38:31 AEST 1989

In article <443 at marob.MASA.COM> daveh at marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
-In article <9281 at smoke.BRL.MIL> Doug Gwyn writes (re curses-based interfaces):
->  It's an idea whose time has gone.
-Are you saying that a (relatively) high-priced, ethernet-connected
-graphical display should be installed for every office manager, production
-assistant or data-entry operatory who performs simple data management
-tasks?  Or perhaps that applications which don't require bitmap displays
-and mice would not benefit from a standardized set of menu, window and form
-management tools?
-I realize this is not a popular concept, but there is a large segment of
-the Unix population which is *not* involved with cutting-edge design and
-engineering tasks, but merely doing their mundane, daily work on a Unix
-machine.
-[ perhaps we should reissue teletypes for such trailing-edge tasks :-) ]

Fine, if you make it a Teletype model 630.  If an employee isn't worth
investing $2K for dramatically improved productivity then I feel sorry
for the employer.

Even mickey-mouse IBM PCs can support much better working environments
than traditional CRT forms.