printf, data presentation

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Jan 10 06:42:54 AEST 1989

In article <225800106 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> >From my recollection of BASIC, INKEY$ has two main uses:
> /*   (long discussion deleted)   */

> The important point is that some such function should be a
> STANDARD C (ANSI C) function, ...

You obviously didn't pay attention to me. I just got through saying that
INKEY$ is an extremely infeccient and CPU-intensive way of operating under
an operating system like UNIX. It should certainly not be made part of
'C', just because of this little inconvenient fact. Any time you want to
do INKEY$, stop and ask yourself what you're really doing. You may very
well find that there are better tools... available and portable. Look up
signal(), and meditate on multitasking.

> ... not an operating system dependent
> kludge.

INKEY is an operating-system dependent kludge.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.