gcc vs. commercial C compiler (Sun's)

Clayton Cramer cramer at optilink.UUCP
Sat Jan 28 05:13:57 AEST 1989

In article <1034 at vsi.COM>, friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> In article <286 at proton.UUCP>, nusbaum at meson.uucp (R. James Nusbaum) writes:
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of gcc (a relatively new
> > compiler as compilers go) vs. using Sun's C compiler in a medical
> > software project where software failure could cause loss of life?
>
> This might depend on who the survivors would prefer to sue: FSF or Sun...
>
> Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl at vsi.com

This is not a trivial concern.  I know of a certain company whose
8-bit processor Pascal libraries had an error in one of the math
functions.  A major chemical company was writing software using it
and another vendor's compiler for process control.  If they had
put the first company's executable to work on a real plant, it
might well have lead to explosion...

I can well picture a jury's reaction to finding out that a software
vendor used "free" software, vs. a commercial product.  (Even if
the free product wasn't at fault).  I suspect the tendency would be
to view such a company as flakey, amateurish, or ridiculously
cheap.
--
Clayton E. Cramer
{pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer