spiffy terminals

Unix Consultation Mailbox consult at osiris.UUCP
Thu Jan 19 09:11:22 AEST 1989

In article <9357 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <408 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>>	The difference in cost is between $ 1000 and $ 1500.  When you
>>multiply this by the number of terminals in an office, the cost starts
>>to become prohibitive.
>
>This line of argumentation has been refuted already, but let's try
>again:  Why not supply your office workers with packing crates or
>even cardboard boxes instead of real office furniture?  Just think
>of the savings!

Why not?  Because I don't sign the checks.  Not that that would make any
difference, I just heard this morning that we are pretty much flat broke
for FY'88, which doesn't even end for five more months.  (This is typical
of my division at JHH, too - we even started FY'88 with extra money for a
change.)

It must be really nice that you can have all that modern hardware.  Some
of us have to deal with whatever we can get.  I don't even have a "dumb
ASCII" tty to use when the server for my di?kless Sun 3/50 is down, we
can't spare any.  The one I've got at home for dialing in is more than
four years old, and well past its last legs, but can't be replaced for
the same reason.

Phil Kos