printf, data presentation

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Fri Jan 13 04:00:52 AEST 1989

In article <11067 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[mav]) writes:
>In article <443 at marob.MASA.COM>, daveh at marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) writes:
>>
>> Are you saying that a (relatively) high-priced, ethernet-connected
	[ deleted ]

>First off, these machines are now available for under $2000.
>Examples are Acer's Xerbra, a terminal with an ethernet connector and
>an X server in rom, and Atari ST's running NeWS with some help from
>a BSD box.

Sorry.  I can't justify the cost to my customers to spend upwards of $ 2000
per terminal when the cost of a regular character-oriented terminal is
now around $ 300.  There are many applications around which do not have
or need any graphics abilities.  There is no need to run them on a
bit-mapped terminal.  Additionally, there are many systems out in the
field in which the users are using only one or two applications.  If
these applications are character oriented why should they have to spend
the money for an expensive terminal.

	The difference in cost is between $ 1000 and $ 1500.  When you
multiply this by the number of terminals in an office, the cost starts
to become prohibitive.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer				"The time has come," the Walrus said...
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.