BIT Counting: C programming problem

Peter Desnoyers desnoyer at Apple.COM
Fri Jan 13 03:51:43 AEST 1989

In article <1310 at skinner.nprdc.arpa> malloy at nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) writes:
>In article <35329 at think.UUCP> barmar at kulla.think.com.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>>I haven't seen anyone so far suggest the far end of the time/space
>>trade-off: have a 64K table, with each element N containing the number
>>of bits in N  . . .

More thoughts on large tables and program load time - if the disk the
program is running off of is slow, it may be faster to initialize the
table by calculating it (using a slower algorithm) than to load it as
part of the code. (!) Someone suggested in email that load overhead is
avoided with shareable libraries - it is not, unless another process
is already using that function. The library still resides on disk
before being faulted in.

				Peter Desnoyers