spiffy terminals (was: printf, data presentation)

pri=-10 Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Sun Jan 8 07:58:20 AEST 1989

In article <9307 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <BRUCE.89Jan6093706 at blue.gwd.tek.com> bruce at blue.gwd.tek.com (Bruce Robertson) writes:
>>Please explain how a $2K model 630 is so much better than a $350
>>Wyse-50 for someone doing, say, database entry all day.  Another
>>example: factory floor diagnostics, which can benefit from screen
>>manipulation, but don't really gain anything from graphics.
>
>You're misleading yourself by concentrating on the bitmap graphics
>aspect of the 630.  Much more relevant are the following:

I agree. There is much more to a graphics display than just graphics.
The examples given are definetly area's that can benefit from an improved
user interface.

One problem is the increased time and expense of developing software to
incorporate new and better user interfaces. A prime example is the
Macintosh. Almost any user can be doing fairly interesting and useful tasks
with very limited training, but the cost of developing the programs for the
Macintosh is higher due to developing the user interface.

The primary advantage of the Mac interface is it's uniformity across
applications, ease of use for non computer literate users and fast learning
curve. It can also present data in more traditional and flexible ways (like
emulating dials, buttons, etc). For the factory floor this means giving your
factory worker more information in a more familiar format and less training
time.

For the database entry application you can have (for example) several
screens that can be interacted with, again with less training involved.

The bottom line is cost. The end users have and will continue to look at the
bottom line. Sophisticated end users will generally look at all costs such
as training and productivity improvements to counter increased capital
costs for a more sophisticated system (i.e. graphics display, user friendly
interface). Non-sophisticated end users will typically just look at the capital costs and go for a bare bones systems (i.e. your XXXX brand 80x24 terminal).

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532