static versus auto initialization

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Jan 20 14:02:09 AEST 1989

[Automatic aggregate initialisation is not allowed in `old C'.]

In article <7483 at chinet.chi.il.us> john at chinet.chi.il.us (John Mundt) writes:
>A static variable will run faster if it is addressed scads of times
>since its final address does not have to be computed each time it
>is accessed.

This is a curious statement.  Variables do not run at all.  I suspect
you mean `code that computes a variable's address will run faster if
the variable is static'; that statement is testable, and is false on
perhaps as many machines as it is true on others.