Yet Another Lint Foul-up

Bob Larson blarson at skat.usc.edu
Sat Jan 7 16:06:50 AEST 1989

In article <9296 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:

>Here are things that I don't know of any way to keep "lint" from
>unjustly complaining about without deliberately sabotaging it:
>	return from malloc() being used other than as a (char *)
>	functions like exit() that don't return
>	loops that will never terminate but not patently so
>	use of pointer casts

Depending on which version of lint you use, (I've heard it is fixed
in sunos 4.0) you should add:

	varargs functions

At least one version of varargs does not allow any arguments to
the function besides va_alist, and the /*VARARGS0*/ comment does
not shut the lint I use (sunos 3.2) up.  /*VARARGSn*/ n!=0 is not
portable.  (But does have potential use in non-portable lint libraries,
etc.)

Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson at Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson at skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson
Prime mailing list:	info-prime-request%ais1 at ecla.usc.edu
			oberon!ais1!info-prime-request