Would *you* get caught by this one?

Tony Williams tonyw at microsoft.UUCP
Sat Jan 14 06:09:58 AEST 1989

In article <139 at mole-end.UUCP> mat at mole-end.UUCP (Mark A Terribile) writes:
>Here's a simple C question on a point that caught me recently.  Would *you*
>get caught?
>
>	When is     a *= b      not the same as     a = a * b   ?

I think the proper answer is when your C compiler has a bug :-)
More seriously, here is one that not many C compilers get right:

	int a = 2;
	a *= 0.5;

Most compilers give you a == 0 following the *= statement, and a == 1
following a statment a = a * 0.5;
(Thanks to Jeff Smith at Warwick, UK for pointing this one out to me)

   Tony Williams