typechecking

Robert Forsman thoth at banana.cis.ufl.edu
Wed Jan 11 14:03:54 AEST 1989

I started my C career on PCs and got quite used to strong typechecking
on Turbo C.  I switched to Unix and all my C programs were useless
until I found gcc (the cc we have doesn't support stuff like char

*strdup(char *s);

function prototyping.)

gcc is fine but I still get sloppy and do stuff like

fprintf("%s : line %d : colon expected.\n",filename,linenumber);

I forget the stream and the program crashes.  Turbo catches this and
gcc doesn't.  If anyone knows of a compiler with STRONG ( I mean
really vicious) typechecking, but, in the spirit of C, no enforcing, I
would really like to know where I can ftp it from.  I guess what I am
looking for is a compiler with lint built in.  I have access to Suns
and an ancient Gould but little else.

p.s. our lint chokes on my function prototyping

  THOTH out -