Proposal for a scientific look at C style choices

Frans van Otten fransvo at htsa.uucp
Tue Jan 3 18:57:46 AEST 1989

In article <1046 at ns.UUCP> ddb at ns.UUCP (David Dyer-Bennet) writes:
>I think of
>    if (cond) {
>	/* stuff */
>    }
>as one statement, so I like having it begin and end at the same indent
>level.  Also, if there happens to be white space or an end of page
>after the closing brace, having that brace at "if" level is the only
>way to put something at that level to stop my eye before it scans on down.

I don't like the begin and the end at the same indent level. The indent
level where the statement begins is where I expect the next statement to
start. So I always write code like this:

  if (cond)
    { ...
  nextstatement;

You might say I use a 'half indent' (two spaces) for the {} and a 'full
indent' (four spaces) for the actual code. So I have something to stop
my eye at the end of the compound statement.

The compound statement starts on the same line as the opening {, saving
vertical space.  Some people object to this using editing convenience
arguments.  That never was a problem to me, though.

--
                         Frans van Otten
                         Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam
                         fransvo at htsa.uucp