Imposed indentation standards don't work

Eric S. Raymond eric at snark.UUCP
Wed Jan 4 05:22:41 AEST 1989

In <6017 at thorin.cs.unc.edu>, leech at zeta.UUCP (Jonathan Leech) writes:
>In <eZRVf#X6xPL=eric at snark.UUCP> eric at snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>>Please, no flames about how not everybody uses emacs and 8-space tabs either;
>>situations like this are what expand(1) is for and diff(1) can be told to
>>ignore whitespace-only differences.
>
>     Now if only SCCS could do this, I would be a happy camper.

Mr. Leech makes a telling point here, one I hadn't considered. Hmm. SCCS uses
diff(1) to do its version comparisons. I betcha the command is generated with
a sprintf(3) somewhere in delta(1). A trivial binary-edit to wedge in the -b
option, and -- voila! Kluge of the Week...
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      Email: eric at snark.uu.net                       CompuServe: [72037,2306]