Search for a smarter C cross reference.

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon Jun 5 14:11:07 AEST 1989

In article <3019 at buengc.BU.EDU> bph at buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>Why does [nm -g] list the functions I declared to "return" void as being
>type int()? ... I think it might also have something to do with nm's
>assumptions about what is actually in the object-file, and there
>might be something missing (like a tag that would disambiguate the type
>of a function declared either void() or int()) from the object file.

This last guess is the right answer.  On the Encore, the C compiler
emits old-style `.stabs' directives, and does not distingish between
functions returning void and those returning int (since it is not in
fact necessary to tell them apart at the machine level).

(This is only one of many things about the Encore that needs modernising,
the most serious being, in our view, the kernel netinet code....)