C Programmer's Environment

Gregory G. Woodbury ggw at wolves.UUCP
Sun Jun 18 16:40:09 AEST 1989

In <4962 at arcturus> Wade Guthrie wrote:
>....  My question is this, what would
>you, the programmer, consider part of the ideal C programming environment
>I would certainly include:
>	- make
>	- a symbolic debugger
>	- error (on UNIX -- inserts comments which are error msgs.)
>	- a C interpereter (which can call compiled sub-modules)
>	- a C compiler (of-course)
>	- vi
>	- curses (no flames, please)
>
>what else would you include (it doesn't have to exist) ?  I am anxiously
>awaiting the response.

	One of the most usefull things taht I find is the Source Code Control
System (SCCS) or its equivalent.  A lot of people that I have talked to are not
that aware of just how powerfull this can be when used with a bit of creative
thought.  It is, of course, invaluable if you are trying to maintain different
releases of software in a "published" software system, but even in a personal
development environment, it can be very usefull in letting you track the
evolution of a module and know what pieces/versions are in place in a given
program.

	A second thing that I find usefull is one of the graphical directory
viewers/shell interfaces that lets you define hot keys and annotate the files
in a directory tree.  (What!?  you don't have one?  Write it! I did.)

	The third addition is NetNews.  Without the wonderfull discussions
that appear here, I'd fall into all sorts of traps and errors, and would be
writing non-portable applications, and not have all sorts of useful tools.

--
Greg Woodbury.         What do you mean by "not everyone thinks the way I do"?