Day of week routine

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Fri Jun 2 13:07:02 AEST 1989

In article <534 at bnr-fos.UUCP> dgibbs at bcars115.UUCP (David Gibbs) writes:

>  Nothing of course, because nobody (but nobody) will be using piddly little
>32-bit machines in 2038.

When I was introduced to a 5-year-old mainframe in 1970, I thought
"32 bits isn't enough.  Why is this thing less powerful than that slow
old little machine that uses BCD, Can't Add and Doesn't Even Try?"
Surely no one would have predicted that piddly little 32-bit machines
and piddlier littler 16-bit machines would still be used 19 years later.
Well, in those 19 years, I adapted not only to 32-bit limitations but
also to 16-bit limitations.  (Somehow the 8-bit machines had 16-bit
library routines supplied by their vendors.  Never saw the famous 4-bit
machines, except maybe the one that Couldn't Add and Didn't Even Try.)
Why can't all these eunuchs do it....

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for