consistency in declaration

Eric Giguere giguere at aries5.uucp
Fri Jun 16 02:44:54 AEST 1989

In article <64 at BLEKUL11.BITNET> SAAAA04 at BLEKUL11.BITNET writes:
>To my surprise the following happened with the waterloo C compiler (for VM/CMS)

Wow! An IBM mainframe user reading this group...

>it refuses:

>void foo(int , int y);

>but (of course) accepts:

>void foo(int x, int y);
>void foo(int , int);

>Do I have to be consistent ? Or is this a bug in the compiler ?

It's not a bug.... it's a feature.  Seriously, the ANSI specs state that
a function prototype can accept types or types with IDs but not both
in the same declaration.  So, yes, you do have to be consistent.

(I should know, I spent a lot of time debugging all the ANSI stuff we put
into the compiler...)

Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
For the curious: it's French ("jee-gair")     Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9
Bitnet  : GIGUERE at WATCSG                   (519) 746-6565
Internet: giguere at aries5.UWaterloo.ca         "Nothing but urges from HELL!!"