(How many bits) Re: Day of week routine

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Jun 6 21:41:50 AEST 1989

Follow up to comp.misc.

The subject is how many bits we'll be using in 50 years. Many people are
holding out for 32, for some reason.

In article <10327 at socslgw.csl.sony.JUNET>, diamond at csl.sony.co.jp (Norman Diamond) writes:
> But a 20-year-old operating system is another story.  Everyone wants
> to run a 20-year-old operating system with their 3-year-old workstation,

Ah, but that 20 year old operating system was running on 16 bit machines
at the time. It's now running almost exclusively on 32-bit ones. To say that
it'll be running on 32-bit machines in 20 years, let alone 50, is a symptom
of a failure of the imagination.

And it's not the same system it was 20 years ago.

I suspect that in 20 years, and likely 10, maybe even 5, it'll be most often
seen running under Mach (or the moral equivalent).

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.