Moderated C group ? (was Re: Posting)

Tom Karzes karzes at mfci.UUCP
Thu Jun 8 10:01:24 AEST 1989

In article <13607 at haddock.ima.isc.com> karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:

>So, let's draw up a charter: The moderator shall not reject a question for
>being "stupid".  He/she may reject an *answer* for being wrong ("int is always
>32 bits") or redundant (the 25th consecutive posting saying "no it isn't"), or
>any posting for being inappropriate ("How do you pronounce `#'?").  Does this
>sound reasonable?

I question the ability of a moderator to reject an *answer* for being
wrong.  I see no reason to believe that a moderator, no matter how chosen,
would necessarily have a more complete or more correct understanding of a
given issue than a given poster or reader.  True, considering the fact that
many people who try to post answers don't have a clue about C and appear
to have 2 digit IQ's, and assuming a moderator could be found who doesn't
suffer from these shortcomings, this might work for 90% of the answers.
However, I suspect there would still be occasions when a moderator wouldn't
understand a subtle point, but would *think* that he/she did, and would
incorrectly throw away a key response as being "incorrect" or "redundant",
depriving those of us who are able to appreciate such a posting from seeing
it.  To put it another way, I'd rather weed out a bit of garbage than risk
missing a few hastily discarded gems.