int divided by unsigned.

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Tue Jun 27 15:33:50 AEST 1989

In article <13958 at lanl.gov> jlg at lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
>... It would _obviously_ be better if [signed] semantics of [int divided
>by unsigned] expression[s] were the _default_ and the present default were
>the one which required the extra syntax.

And it would `obviously' be better if the sky were green and grass were
blue.  Good grief, what makes your `obvious' any more obvious than mine?
(Now, I do happen to think that the pANS' `value-preserving' sign semantics
are inferior to PCC's `unsigned-preserving' semantics, but I have a very
specific reason for thinking this.  I do not have any particular reason
to believe that the result of combining signed and unsigned should be
one or the other.  I am happy with things as is, and would probably be
just as happy if they had always been the other way.)

Instead of simply asserting `it is obvious that ...', you might explain
why you feel that way, for those of us to whom it is not obvious.