reverse asctime()? EEEK!

Jean-Pierre Radley jpr at dasys1.UUCP
Tue Jun 6 12:43:14 AEST 1989

In article <5178 at b11.ingr.com> abashian at b11.ingr.com (Pete Abashian) writes:
>Now the problem.  I need to be able to take an ascii string and
>convert it back to the internal storage - number of seconds since epoch.
>
>The task would normally entail some simple mathematics to incorporate leap
>[gag] years, etc...  But what about the sticky user(s) that want to be
>able to input virtually any valid combination of dates/times?  12MAY89,
>12-MAY-89, May 12, 1989....etc.  For the life of me I cannot remember EVER
>seeing an include file or archive with a reference to such a routine.

In one of the LIBraries of the TANGENT Forum on CompuServe, there is
DATECALC, which permits users to input 12-may-88, or May 12, 1988, or even
12;may;88, then compare it to anothr date, or add or subtract days to the
original date. I do believe that in accomplishing this, input data are
converted into seconds from the epoch. This what you're after?

E-Mail me if you haven't Compuserve access.
--
Jean-Pierre Radley		CIS: 72160,1341		jpr at jpradley.UUCP