strdup() "need source"

David T. Sandberg dts at quad.uucp
Sat Jun 17 18:56:56 AEST 1989

In article <2550092 at hpisod2.HP.COM> decot at hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
>> I am trying to compile big banner on a unix-pc, SYSV 3.5 and
>> need the function strdup()...
>
>THE !&$@*#*! SVID REQUIRES that function in the !@#&!@?!@ BASE SYSTEM!
>
>Are you telling me that an AT&T system that says it's System V Release 3.5
>DOES NOT HAVE this trivial function?

No, the above party simply misrepresented his operating system.  He
is talking about Unix 3.5 for the Unix PC, which is a very different
thing from System V r3.

As to the query, strdup() is not provided, but then again the Unix
PC's OS is kind of like a System V which little bits stolen from about
everything out there.  (An ancient cron, but shared libraries? ;')

Anyway, someone has already posted a simple version of this trivial
function, and I've drifted far enough from the topic of C for one
day...

--
  char *david_sandberg()
  {