strings

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Wed May 17 15:23:36 AEST 1989

Doug Gwyn:

>>>If you want counted strings, C makes it relatively easy to provide
>>>them for yourself.

me:

>>Good luck porting other people's strictly conforming programs though.
>>They might use C strings.
>>Good luck persuading someone else to port your programs.

Doug Gwyn:

>I don't understand your comment.  Of course the C compiler and library
>continue to support null-terminated strings.  Defining your own
>counted-string data type and functions doesn't affect that at all.
>Furthermore there is no reason your counted-string implementation
>should be other than perfectly portable.

Yes, just like the C compiler continues to support { and }, but you
can do:
  #define BEGIN {
  #define END   }
or (sorry Bjarne but it's true)
  #define Case  break; case
and still be perfectly portable.  Everyone will hate you.  A lot of
C programmers, such as for example Doug Gwyn, expect standard facilities
to be used.

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for