Statement terminators

Badri Lokanathan badri at valhalla.ee.rochester.edu
Tue May 9 13:58:31 AEST 1989

In article <1843 at ubu.warwick.UUCP> geoff at cs.warwick.ac.uk (Geoff Rimmer) writes:
>I agree that it can be *very* annoying having to backquote all the
>newlines in macros (take a look at "putc" in stdio.h !)  But how else
>could cpp be designed so it knows when to stop?  By matching the
>parentheses/ brackets & braces?

One could have a default set of delimiters that can be modified on the
fly (as in sed pattern matching, for instance)

Say the default is ^
#define Foo ^your macro^
But if your macro contains ^, then modify by
#define Foo @your macro@

cpp can easily be designed to recognize the first non-white character as a
delimiter ...
"I care about my fellow man              {) badri at ee.rochester.edu
 Being taken for a ride,                //\\ {ames,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,
 I care that things start changing     ///\\\ garp,harvard,ll-xn,rutgers}!
 But there's no one on my side."-UB40   _||_   rochester!ur-valhalla!badri