ANSI C-compliant compiler (info req)

Karl Klashinsky klash at hobbes.UUCP
Tue May 16 23:18:28 AEST 1989

Thanks for reading this far.

WHAT:

    I am curious about the existence of ANSI standard-conforming
    compilers.  Are there any out there yet?  Are they commercial?
    Is there a GNU ANSI C compiler?

WHY:

    We are having a small war (read: debate) on whether we should
    develop in C or in our own proprietary language.  Opponents of
    C argue that C does not provide proper type-checking of function
    arguments.  I'm arguing that ANSI C would give us this, and more
    (portability is important), but I need to be able to wave an
    ANSI C compiler in their face and say "See!  It really does
    exist!"

On a related note, can anybody tell me if there is going to be some
kind of symbol defined so that I can 'ifdef' code for an ANSI
compiler?  For eg, I would like to be able to do something like
this:

#ifdef ANSI
extern void foo ( int, char * );
#else
extern void foo ();
#endif

Thanks,

Karl Klashinsky                                 "I shall endeavour to
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.                     function adequately."
utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hobbes!klash			 Lt. Data