Calling FORTRAN from C (Was: Need matrix inversion C routine).

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Wed May 10 15:21:25 AEST 1989

In article <10237 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>DEC tried to do it, but I wouldn't call their attempt fully successful.

It would still be silly if someone who wants to reinvent this wheel
doesn't bother to look at what DEC did.

>>... other languages only specified WHAT gets done by various language
>>constructs, but K&R added HOW it must be done for their language.

>I don't know what you mean by this.  Do you?

Yeah, I think so.  Strings, for example.  Cobol, PL/I, Algol,
Fortran-77, Snobol, etc., have string types and say what kind of
operations can be done on strings.  C says that a string is terminated
with a '\0' byte.  Instead of assigning a null string to a target,
C programmers assign a '\0' byte, so the implementation of C library
routines can never be speeded up.  For other languages, improvements
are often made to implementations.

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for