strings

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Tue May 16 14:35:21 AEST 1989

In article <190 at mole-end.UUCP> mat at mole-end.UUCP (Mark A Terribile) writes:

>Well, in C you are stuck.  At the risk of being told to go to my own group,
>this is the point where you should switch to C++ and define a string type
>that uses whatever you have available in your particular environment.

Of course.  In fact, this is why string handling seems to be a popular
topic in C++ library writing.  We agree completely.

>Of course, I could ask you to show me a machine on which the FORTRAN compiler
>has access to the internal implementation of COBOL, or on which COBOL can be
>made to use the FORTRAN complex arithmetic algorithms.  We could go on.

I'm not sure why you ask this question.  The answer is VMS.  DEC
required all of their language developers to conform to implementations
specified by the operating system.  This is exactly where they ran into
problems with C.  This conversation has now revolved back to its point
of beginning....

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for