A plea for restraint

RAMontante bobmon at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Wed May 31 14:57:35 AEST 1989

tneff at bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) <14363 at bfmny0.UUCP> :
-Through several mailed replies and Doug's posting I have come to
-realize that the people who answer C questions in this newsgroup
-probably don't want them arriving in the mail instead.
-		[ ... ]
-was intended to be legitimately useful for newbies.

I might suggest that the questions be mailed to these gurus, but their
answers be posted.  This would disseminate the information without
encouraging the wrong answers.  It might still not please the gurus.

In any case, though, I think the biggest problem is simply that those
most in need of some guidelines are those least likely to be aware of
them, capable of applying them, or inclined to try to follow them.  It's
the old "I'm brand new to the net, so I'll make a name for myself by
proposing that NULL be redefined as (char *)0" syndrome.

How about this for a posting policy:
    Anybody can post, but only approved gurus are allowed to use
    whitespace, capitals, numerals, and the letter `c'.