Pound sign (was Re: the Telephone Test)

Stephen M. Dunn stephen at ziebmef.uucp
Sun May 14 09:58:24 AEST 1989

In article <147 at ixi.UUCP> clive at ukc.ac.uk (Clive) writes:
 The character that looks like:
   |  |
 --+--+--
   |  |
 --+--+--
   |  |
 is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
 A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note, and looks like:
        --
       /
   ---+---

   Sorry, you're wrong on statement 1 and right on statement 2.  Both of
the above symbols (BTW, congrats on managing to draw them in ASCII ... no
mean feat) _are_ pound signs, although a multitude of other names exist
for the first one.

   Now that we've cleared that up, let's get back to discussing C rather
than discussing what we call the little glyphs we use to represent
information.  If you want more information on such symbols, check out
your local library - I'm sure it will contain enough descriptions of
alphabets to satisfy most everybody.