Calling FORTRAN from C (Was: Need matrix inversion C routine).

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sat May 6 13:54:21 AEST 1989

In article <1415 at uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu>
charlie at mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) writes:
>I just want an answer to a much simpler problem.  How to write an
>intellegent C program (no strings or structures in arguments, no call
>by value, etc.) that calls a Fortran subroutine or is called by one.
>I know there is no portable answer to this now.  But shouldn't there
>be?

Perhaps there should.  But note that a Fortran compiler might use an
entirely different run-time environment (e.g., perhaps no stack at all)
than a C compiler, even on the same machine.

It is clear that no one language standard can constrain any *other*
language, and that therefore no one standard (for Fortran, C, PL/I,
APL, Lisp, DDL, rog-o-matic, or whatever) can require inter-language
calls.  It requires an inter-language standard to do this.

Good luck on getting together an inter-language standard ... you will
certainly need it.