Strange C Problem

Tom J. Colley tjc at mbunix.mitre.org
Wed May 10 22:58:59 AEST 1989

In article <13812 at paris.ics.uci.edu> bvickers at bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Brett J. Vickers) writes:
>...on to the next line (printf("&")).  The ampersand isn't output until
>the next call to output_msgs().

On many systems, a output to a terminal is buffered until a newline is sent,
(or something to that effect).  I once wrote a program that displayed an 'X'
every 1000 iterations so I could see its progress (50,000 iterations).
The darn thing would run but wouldn't display any of the 'X' until the
process completed.  If this is on a UNIX system, you might try a 'fflush'
on standard output, or something similar to this on a different system.
Hope this helps!

Tom  (tjc at mbunix.mitre.org>