The Ten Commandments for C Programmers

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Tue May 2 04:20:33 AEST 1989

In article <1989Apr30.003346.25362 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
=In article <693 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>=Thou shalt make thy program's purpose and structure
=>=clear to thy fellow man by using the
=>                     ^^^
=>
=>Say, Henry, you won't mind if I change that to "programmers" or
=>"computeroids" or "computersaurus" or something before I hand it out to
=>my classes???  ;-)
=
=Standard pseudoBiblical usage :-) follows the English-language convention
=that masculine forms double as generic forms, even though use of this
=slightly unfortunate convention is now believed to be the moral equivalent
=of rape or child abuse (to judge by the reactions the most innocent remarks
=can produce).
=
=However, if you (un-bravely but also understandably) want to avoid attracting
=the attention of the Pronoun Gestapo, it is permissible to substitute a
=suitably Biblical term like "creature" for "man".

The creatures in my class will *love* that!  Thanks.
--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College				CompuServe: 70240,334