Another silly question

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Tue May 23 12:19:38 AEST 1989

In article <1989May21.205928.26064 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Sometimes I think the only one was Dennis Ritchie's original pdp11 compiler,
>with the original PCC perhaps a borderline case.

Well, in terms of the original question ...
>And lest there be any
>doubts about the matter, both of them convert "a[i]" to "*(a+i)" as they
>parse, so the code for the two expressions is necessarily identical.  (I
>went and looked at the compiler sources to be sure.)
... yes it's encouraging to see that they were competent.

Now about PCC.  Do you really mean that all those bugs were inserted
into PCC after the original?  I suppose it's possible.  I don't have
the original.  But some of those bugs look pretty old.  How portable
is it to dereference the null pointer?  I'm amazed that the thing runs
(except of course for where it doesn't run).

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for