Calling FORTRAN from C (Was: Need matrix inversion C routine).

Charlie Geyer charlie at mica.stat.washington.edu
Sat May 6 07:45:57 AEST 1989

Most of the discussion about this has gotten very far away from what I
see as the real problem (perhaps mistakenly).  A lot of comments have
been to the effect that there's no portable way to make it so that
*any* Fortran, C, or Lisp (!) program can be called from any other.

I just want an answer to a much simpler problem.  How to write an
intellegent C program (no strings or structures in arguments, no call
by value, etc.) that calls a Fortran subroutine or is called by one.
I know there is no portable answer to this now.  But shouldn't there
be?

This is often essential if one is to avoid reinventing the wheel at
the cost of years of work.