Pound sign (was Re: the Telephone Test)

Earl H. Kinmonth ked at garnet.berkeley.edu
Thu May 11 02:13:27 AEST 1989

>>Noting that the words 'peso' and 'lira' both mean 'pound',  I'd say that
>>those of us whose currency is not named after a unit of weight are
>>the ones with the strange units.

Yen means circular, presumably after the shape of coins. If you find
yourself in possession of a large quantity of yen and are repulsed by
having money not named after a unit of weight, I'll be happy to releave
you of your burden, and I won't charge you for doing so. :)

I'll take the "strange" yen AND THE ECONOMY BEHIND IT over peso, lira,
pounds, or dollars and the economies associated with each.