comment token mistake

s m ryan smryan at garth.UUCP
Thu May 4 08:50:06 AEST 1989

>> The choice of the 2-token sequence `/*' for starting a comment,
>> was a mistake:
>>
>> 	printf("%d\n", *a/*b);
>>                      ^^^^^
>>  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
>>  "If it isn't aesthetically pleasing, |Maarten Litmaath @ VU Amsterdam:
>>   it's probably wrong." (jim at bilpin). |maart at cs.vu.nl, mcvax!botter!maart
>
>Your own signature easily addresses the point.  Since it is aesthetically
>unpleasing to cram the three tokens together (youdon'tlikethis,doyou?),
>you got what you deserved.

Geez. Why design style rules into a language?

A little thought could have avoided this if instead of slavishly following
PL/I.

How many more decades will `a=*b;' be an old-fashioned operator?

>(So why do I even bother reading through this group?  Why do some
>schools even allow students to post outside of their own buildings?)
>--
>Department of Computer Science

Why do schools let anyone post? Why not just leave it to us professionals?
--
16. `The wealth I lose becomes the bane           Steven Ryan: ingr!garth!smryan
of all who own or seek in vain.                    2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA