Statement terminators

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue May 9 23:36:10 AEST 1989

In article <1843 at ubu.warwick.UUCP>, geoff at cs.warwick.ac.uk (Geoff Rimmer) writes:
> In article <2296 at mit-caf.MIT.EDU> vlcek at mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Jim Vlcek) writes:
> > In fact, I myself would lean the other direction and prefer that
> > macros not follow the strict ``to the next newline'' rule, but rather
> > have a more explicit means of terminating the definition body.

Me too...

> I agree that it can be *very* annoying having to backquote all the
> newlines in macros (take a look at "putc" in stdio.h !)  But how else
> could cpp be designed so it knows when to stop?

A new construct for multiline macros?

#begin Malloc(x)
	({char *tempptr=malloc(x);
		if (!tempptr) perror_("malloc failed");tempptr;})
#end

> (BTW this is only when I'm using gcc - so no flames!)

I think it's kind of cute, but then I get nostalgic over BCPL.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.