execl()'ing batch files in DOS

Chris Johnson mesmo at Portia.Stanford.EDU
Thu May 18 05:59:06 AEST 1989

In article <302 at ohs.UUCP> mday at ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
>Does anybody know if it's possible to execl() a batch file in DOS?  I am
>using MicroSoft C v5.1, and using MS-DOS v3.30.  I have tried:
>
>	execl("\command.com", "tryit.bat", NULL);
>
>and perror() tells me "No such file or directory."  Any help or input would
>be appreciated.

	Sorry for posting this, I have trouble mailing to UUCP sites.

	There are at least two errors in the above line:

		1) if you want to specify the root directory "\",
		you will have to use the escape sequence "\\" in
		the first argument to execl (re: K&R 1ed p.180)

		2) you are using "tryit.bat" as the first argument
		to command.com; this doesn't do what you want it to

	Why not use:

		system("tryit.bat");

	?? This invokes command.com, and then attempts to locate & run
	your batch file.