Pound sign (was Re: the Telephone Test)

Hugh Grant hugh at ecrcvax.UUCP
Mon May 8 19:33:52 AEST 1989

In article <30092 at apple.Apple.COM> desnoyer at Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
>In article <147 at ixi.UUCP> clive at ukc.ac.uk (Clive) writes:
>>The character that looks like: [...]
>>is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
>
>The UK has now been metric long enough that some of its citizens have
>forgotten that there are two types of "pounds" - sterling and
>avoirdupois. In other words, the following are both legal and mean
>different things -

Hmmm... I'm not so sure about that. Pounds (weight) as well as the other
"imperial" measurements are still widespread.

>    3{hash-mark} of flour - about a kilo and a half
>    3{script-L} of flour - depends on the price you paid

The more usual symbol for a pound is "lb". I have never seen a hash-mark
used as a pound-weight symbol outside of the US.

(Does this really have anything to do with C? How about a "units" group? :-)
Hugh Grant, ICL ITC.			hugh at ecrcvax.uucp
currently at: European Computer-Industry Research Centre, Arabellstr. 17, Munich