strange behaviour of lint?

Eric B. Hymowitz c08_d107 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Sun May 7 06:34:20 AEST 1989

In article <1325 at rivm05.UUCP> ccea3 at rivm.UUCP (Adri Verhoef) writes:

program deleted... hope you don't mind...
in effect, it has a main() with one line: exit(0).

>==============
>value type declared inconsistently
>    exit   	llib-lc(46) :: c.c(3)
>$ sed -n 46p /usr/lib/llib-lc
>void	exit(s) {}
>$ exit
>
>My question: Is lint wrong, or am I misusing "(void)"?

as far as i (and my friends) can tell, lint prefers
''return 0'' to exit(0).  that may solve some problems...

also, (at the risk of repeating other people), lint must be taken
with a teaspoon of salt. :)

it also complains if you don't use the values returned from functions
like printf.

there's nothing wrong with exit(0) as opposed to return 0, if you
don't mind lint complaining.

--eric
disclaimer:  my disdain for capital letters is just that.  it does not
imply a disliking toward any person, object, or other proper noun or
adjective beyond the extent that it requires capitalization.

disclaimer: my idiocies are mine alone.  i speak for no idiots other than
myself.  any idiot who wishes me to speak for him may inquire of me;
if any idiots take my proposal, their names shall be listed with mine.