strings

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue May 16 06:07:07 AEST 1989

In article <10250 at socslgw.csl.sony.JUNET> diamond at csl.sony.co.jp.csl.sony.co.jp (Norman Diamond) writes:
>Doug Gwyn replied:
>>If you want counted strings, C makes it relatively easy to provide
>>them for yourself.
>Good luck porting other people's strictly conforming programs though.
>They might use C strings.
>Good luck persuading someone else to port your programs.

I don't understand your comment.  Of course the C compiler and library
continue to support null-terminated strings.  Defining your own
counted-string data type and functions doesn't affect that at all.
Furthermore there is no reason your counted-string implementation
should be other than perfectly portable.