Pound sign (was Re: the Telephone Test)

Bill Wyatt wyatt at cfatst.HARVARD.EDU
Fri May 5 02:31:54 AEST 1989

>From article <147 at ixi.UUCP>, by clive at ixi.UUCP (Clive):
> The character that looks like:
>
>   |  |
> --+--+--
>   |  |
> --+--+--
>   |  |

> is a "number" sign or a "hash" sign. It is NOT repeat NOT a pound sign.
> A pound sign is what appears on a five pound note, and looks like:
>
>        --
>       /
>   ---+---
>   ---+---
>     /
>   -------
>
> (or some more ornate version). How would you like it if I kept
> saying:
>        dollar include stood eye oh dot aitch
> (I actually say "hash include ...") ?

Well, that's not a very good rendition of a cursive L with two lines
through it...

But anyway, the character is formally called an `octothorp'. By the
way, it IS commonly used in the US as a `pound' sign. I agree that
`hash' may be more widely understood.

Bill Wyatt, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
    UUCP :  {husc6,cmcl2,mit-eddie}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
    ARPA:   wyatt at cfa.harvard.edu
    SPAN:   cfa::wyatt                 BITNET: wyatt at cfa