binary data files

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue May 9 23:31:08 AEST 1989

In article <1970 at dataio.Data-IO.COM>, bright at Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
> And CPM is based on DEC's RT-11 for PDP-11 computers. At the time, DEC
> operating systems were very popular, and they all used the \r and \n
> convention.

That's funny... most DEC systems I know (including RSX, which is what CP/M
seems most closely modelled on) store files as a series of variable length
records containing (usually) a 2 or 4 byte header containing the length and
maybe the line number and then the data on the line.

CP/M was actully based directly on an obscure intel DOS called Isis, with
some teminology (PIP, etc) borrowed from DEC.

Isn't this getting a bit far from 'C'?

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.