Discarded Function Values (To Cast or Not to Cast)

Nancy's Sweetie kilroy at mimsy.umd.edu
Thu Nov 23 05:10:17 AEST 1989

In article <11644 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> I find that I am less likely to overlook genuine problems reported by
> "lint" if NO lint output is expected than if SOME lint output is expected.
> This is difficult to enforce  when malloc() is involved, although there
> are ways.

With which I totally agree:  shut up lint.  Completely.

In article <1989Nov19.171815.17445 at twwells.com> bill at twwells.com
(T. William Wells) writes:

>I've found that completely shutting up lint is not worth my time.
>Not that it is impossible, but I have better things to do.

and

>Anyway, my approach to this is to shut lint up on anything where
>I might be confused by its output, and ignore the rest.

Which irritates me more than I can express.  (Though I'll try anyway.  8-)

At the NIH Department of Nuclear Medicine, I have to support a program which
does real-time data aquisition.  The original version of this program, I am
told, `produced little output from lint.'

It has since been modified 32 times.  Each person who touched it made a
little change here, a little change there, and never bothered to make sure
they didn't add to the lint output.

When I got this thing, I looked at it for a while, and then ran lint on it.

I got back 851 lines of output, some of which said things like `67 lines
deleted for lack of space.'

Now, you may feel that you have better things to do, and you may feel that
*you* are not confused by some of the messages.  But if you don't care to
put *hard work* into making your programs maintainable for the next guy who
comes along, then why are you even bothering to write programs?

I also have things to do besides spend a half hour ensuring that a program
that works has all the lint-shutter-uppers in it.  But a little hard work
never killed anybody, especially if it can help the next person in line.
Nobody will ever get *any* lines of output running lint on a program I've
written, let alone ~800.

kilroy at cs.umd.edu          Darren F. Provine          ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"If everybody gives a little, everybody gets a lot." -- Pete Cottrell