"foo" origin

Gary Mathews gm at cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
Sun Nov 19 19:07:13 AEST 1989

In article <15080002 at hpfijdw.HP.COM> jdw at hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) writes:

>In my lengthy career in Computer Science at the University,
>many professors used the acronym "foo".  None of which knew
>its origins.  Examples of code were called "foo.c", functions
>were called "int foo ()".  Do any of you gurus from way
>back know what this stands for????
>
>Jeff Wood.foo

	To my knowledge "foo" comes from "foo bar", which was another way of
writing "fubar".  Finally, "fubar" is an acronyn for "F*cked Up Beyond All
Repair", which describes most software and hardware today.  Well, that's what
one of my profesors told me, so please flame to /dev/null if you want to.

Gary
--
Gary Jason Mathews      | gm at cunixd.cc.columbia.edu    gm at cunixd (BITNET
Columbia University     | Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired.