main() linkage

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Nov 18 02:34:40 AEST 1989

In article <7733 at cdis-1.uucp> tanner at cdis-1.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
>It seems odd that X3J11 or its members would come up with such claims
>about main().  It would seem to fly in the face of years of established
>practice of using exit(condition) as a way to terminate programs.

You can also, as an alternative, invoke the exit() standard library
function to terminate the program.  exit(n) is the same as return n
from main().  This really has no bearing on proper function linkage.

>Declaring such programs non-portable does not seem to me to be a
>productive use of X3J11's time...

Yeah, we really felt like wasting our time so we did silly things
instead of working on the C standard.  Sheesh.

I already explained sufficiently why main() needs to be properly
declared in standard-conforming (i.e. maximally portable) programs.
Perhaps you should think about what I said instead of attacking it.