Separate data and function address spaces

Tony Olekshy tony at oha.UUCP
Sun Nov 19 08:04:13 AEST 1989

In message <930 at fiver.UUCP>, palowoda at fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

> I'm curious, where did you find out that the System V/386 Unixs use the
> small model?  I look through my manuals and cannot find the refernce to
> "models".

>From man cc on a 386 Xenix system...

    Memory Models: cc can create programs for four different memory models:
    small, middle, large, and huge.  In addition, small model programs can be
    pure or impure.  On the 8086 and 80286 processors, these various
    segmentation models allow programs with code or data larger than 64K
    bytes.  Since the 80386 can address segments larger than 64K bytes, the
    middle, large and huge models are not supported on the 80386.

--
Yours, etc., Tony Olekshy (...!alberta!oha!tony or tony at oha.UUCP).