C compiler with 64-bit ints??

Gerry Gleason gerry at zds-ux.UUCP
Sat Nov 11 07:22:13 AEST 1989

In article <12376 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese) writes:
>In article <6405 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, bruce at pituco.JPL.NASA.GOV (Bruce McLaughlin) writes:
>> Does anyone know of a C compiler which runs on Sun workstations (68020/30)
>> running 4.0.3 which supports 64-bit integers in a native-type mode?  We have

>Hmm, this seems like some thing which be difficult in C because it
>would require modifying the compiler to use 64 bit ints, and there's
>no really good hardware support for it anyway.  It would also cause

Not 64-bit ints, 64-bit integers whose type would be long.  He is looking
for a compiler that does this, a reasonable thing, that same thing as
a compiler for a 16-bit system that has 32-bit longs.

>problems when linking with modules compiled under the normal compiler
>(like the shared libraries!) and would break any code which assumes
>that long==int==32 bits.

Any code that assumes this is broken already, besides, he is asking for
a tool to be applied to a new problem.

Gerry Gleason